Tuesday, June 24, 2008
Off the Roller Coaster?
I had no idea what would be waiting for me when I got to rehab last Saturday morning. Art was looking sort of lost and the people asked me if he was usually this confused. No, he isn't. Turns out he had a not too uncommon UTI probably from the use of catheter in the hospital. I was scared especially since his reactions reminded me of the stroke he had last year. Fortunately, it was not so. It also is not uncommon with this infection, particularly in older men, for confused beliefs and perceptions to occur. He is doing well now, thank goodness. But he lost a day from memory--fortunately for him, I guess--and I got to see how concerned the workers at Health South can be. I am glad, now, that we got our third choice rehab facility. He had a fever as high as 103.2 before a high-powered group of antibiotics began working. Because he was dehydrated, his veins collapsed and they had to call in a specialist to insert a Pik-line (sp?)to get the antibiotics into his bloodstream. Pretty scary, all the way around. It took a few more days before he was himself again. Now, at last, he is making the nurses, PT and OT folks and aides laugh with his sense of humor. Sarah, his aide has been terrific. He recognizes the staff as friends and no longer feels betrayed. Funny, though. I wouldn't trade the experiences we have had together and with our family for anything. And I sincerely hope that my operation proceeds with fewer gliches. The odds are in my favor, they tell me. Perhaps soon we will know when he will be coming home. He's anxious to get here. With all he has had to endure, the blessing? He has no pain at all with the new hip and the incision. I have taken a few photos but again, I lack a step or two in being able to post new ones here. That inexperience too will pass. And each "tomorrow is better than today."




2 comments:
How scary, Janet. Thank heaven that they got it all under control. You are such a brave woman and Art is brave as well. We will keep BOTH of you in our prayers!
Wow, reading this really brings it all back. You are simply amazing!
Post a Comment