Sunday, November 18, 2007

Making Your Mark

At my book club this week, one of the women said that she didn’t think she had made her mark in the world. I disagreed vehemently but I don’t think she was convinced, even though I know that she has taught school, raised a family, risen above many challenges, is intelligent and shares her thoughts with others, has been on 2 church missions and this is only a part what I know of her life.
Since that time I have been wondering what it means to make your mark. Does it mean you have to do something that the rest of the world sees as significant? Or is it possible to make your mark in quiet unobtrusive ways by how you live your life, attempting to be true to yourself and doing small acts of service? I know recognition has value; I know how it feels to be appreciated (or not), but somehow I want to believe that the everyday courtesies and kindnesses matter more than we think.
As I hugged my friend, I told her that she has made a mark on me just by being who she is. I hope someday she will know that her life choices have marked many others for good, and that on days when I am discouraged, I will remember the same thing about myself.